The latest homework assignment: Rank your techniques by belt level.
Note that this is a little hard for me to do objectively right now because I’m battling so many injuries (knee foremost among them), so I haven’t landed a lot of anything recently.
- Triangle — White Belt (also, currently busted because of knee)
- Armbar — White Belt
- Guillotine — White Belt
- Bow-and-Arrow — White Belt
- North/south Kimura — White Belt
- This pass — Blue Belt*
- knee up to knee slide — White Belt
- general half-guard passing — White Belt
*I think it’s just still too novel for the guys to catch on to yet.
- Hook Sweep (against standing) — Blue Belt
- Hook Sweep (against low) — White Belt
- Scissor Sweep — White Belt
- This Mount Escape — Purple Belt
- Back escapes — Blue Belt
- Guard recovery — Blue Belt
- Side Control escapes — Blue Belt
- Armbar escapes — Purple Belt*
*This, I need to start telling guys how I’m getting out (it’s more about getting them to make a mistake than any real skill on my part) so they can keep me honest. At which point this will likely revert to White Belt.
As expected, most things are low-level except for Defense, where I feel pretty confident (and get a lot of reps), with a couple go-tos in other areas getting higher marks. Looks like I need to work on getting more sweeps and guard passes, and then getting reps.